By Poul Rohleder, Leslie Swartz, Seth C. Kalichman, Leickness Chisamu Simbayi, E. Cameron
HIV/AIDS in South Africa 25 Years On
Edited by way of Poul Rohleder, Leslie Swartz, Seth Kalichman, and Leickness Chisamu Simbayi
Much has occurred because the first visual appeal of AIDS in 1981: it's been pointed out, studied, and sometimes denied. The virus has shifted host populations and unfold globally. drugs, the social sciences, and global governments have joined forces to wrestle and stop the sickness. And South Africa has emerged as flooring 0 for the pandemic.
The editors of HIV/AIDS in South Africa 25 Years On current the South African obstacle as a template for addressing the myriad matters surrounding the epidemic around the globe, because the e-book brings jointly a generally scattered physique of literature, analyzes psychosocial and sexual elements contributing to HIV transmission and prevention, and delves into complicated intersections of race, gender, classification, and politics. together with mostly neglected populations and concerns (e.g., prisoners, folks with disabilities, stigma), in addition to demanding situations shaping destiny study and coverage, the participants process their themes with infrequent intensity, meticulous learn, conscientiously drawn conclusions, and profound compassion. one of the issues coated:
- The courting among HIV and poverty, ranging from the query, "Which is the determinant and that's the consequence?"
- Epidemiology of HIV between men and women: techniques of femininity and masculinity, and gender inequities as they impact HIV probability; gender-specific prevention and intervention recommendations.
- The influence of AIDS on babies and children: probability and protecting elements; care of youngsters through HIV-positive moms; HIV-infected children.
- Current prevention and therapy initiatives, together with local-level responses, community-based paintings, and VCT (voluntary counseling and trying out) programs.
- New instructions: selling circumcision, vaccine trials, "positive prevention."
- South Africa’s background of AIDS denialism.
The pressing classes during this ebook practice either globally and in the neighborhood, making HIV/AIDS in South Africa 25 Years On uniquely instructive and beneficial for execs operating in HIV/AIDS and worldwide public healthiness. With foreword through Edwin Cameron, Constitutional courtroom of South Africa.